Monday, May 18, 2009

Love and foundations

"En el amor no hay posturas ridículas ni cursis ni obscenas. 
En el no amor todo es ridículo y cursi y obsceno." 
(In love no position is ridiculous or tacky or obscene. 
In un-love everything is ridiculous and tacky and obscene.)
-Mario Benedetti (1920-2009)

Uruguay has been strongly present in my mind today, since I heard about the death of poet-novelist-social commentator Mario Benedetti. To the extent that his work reflects (and in turn has shaped) Uruguayan sentiment (which was such an important introduction for me into the life of Latin America), and with his poetry and honesty, Benedetti has made a mark on life. I am grateful for his contributions to a world where art and freedom and community might all be valued in daily living.

2 comments:

  1. cursi is not vulgar! but rather cheezy.
    and yes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheezy? I think more like tacky, perhaps. That's what I was debating at any rate. Cheezy has so many connotations (for me, at any rate) which just don't fit well with "the" Latin American attitude...

    ReplyDelete