Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Passion for Justice

This morning we met with a young lawyer who volunteers a significant amount of his time to provide legal advice and services to the displaced. He understands his profession in terms of helping the most vulnerable of society, and does important work to protect the rights of the displaced and other victims of the violence here. I was touched by his testimony and dedication, especially the following quiet affirmation:

"Many of the displaced leaders I first worked with are no longer here--some because they were forced out by threats, others because they were assassinated in their homes. This has awakened in me a strong passion to work for justice, not a feeling of rancor."

I think I find those words so moving because they remind me that the way to avoid futile anger is to focus on the vision of how things ought to be and finding a way to contribute in some meaningful way toward that vision. Paulo Freire described this basic idea as "the utopia that moves me." Without vision, the people perish. Saying no is important, but we must also have things in our lives to which we can offer an enthusiastic yes! if we are to thrive as the loving, creative beings-in-community God created us to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment