Monday, January 22, 2007

Walking Together

On somewhat short notice, I was asked to preach at Comunidad del Camino Presbyterian Church yesterday. I accepted the invitation, with some hesitation because of the limited time I would have to prepare, but I am so glad that I did. It was wonderful to be with Comunidad del Camino again--they are the first church I visited here in Colombia. And the lectionary texts for the day were so beautiful, the sermon came together easily.

I spoke about community, using the passages for the day from Nehemiah and 1 Corinthians. I continue to be amazed by the nature of the preaching event, how the Word is illuminated and transmitted in a special way through prayerfully guided speech. I am still very new to preaching--I believe yesterday was my ninth sermon, including the two I prepared for preaching class last spring. I find it intimidating to a certain degree, but I love it.

I spoke about the importance of really living and being in community, not just individuals but an interdependent whole. I was nervous at first, but once I got going I felt much more at ease. It was a very moving experience for me, and it seemed appropriate to speak about community here where I have learned so much about what that word truly means.

No comments:

Post a Comment